Sunday, March 18, 2012

be able.

i'm able. everyone at my house is fed, clothed, tended to daily. i cook. i clean. i organize. i help people prepare. i lead. i pray. what more is there to being "able"?

remember last week we talked about proverbs 31:10?  {Who can find a virtuous woman?  for her price is far above rubies.}   remember, the word "virtuous" here was translated from the greek meaning to be "able and content" as a mother/wife/woman.  so this week we are going to discuss being more "able" in our womanly roles.  and next week we will take a look at being more "content" with where we're at. 

i think we all have an area {or two} where we could use a little more motivation or assistance with our womanly/motherly duties. what is your area? take some time and do some reading in that area and let God give you the guidance you need to be MORE able. before starting your search for reading materials, take time to thank God for giving you the power to serve your family. ask Him to direct you to the right resources you need that can help you most in your weak areas.

the internet is a great tool to do some searching. your public library will also have a wide selection of books available in any area you need a little guidance in. and amazon. i <3 amazon. yes, i am an amazon prime member. and for a [well worth it] annual fee, i get free two-day shipping from amazon. my ups man knows all about my love for amazon. amazon is great for reading reviews of what other people thought of the book as well as sometimes getting to read several pages from the actual book right there on the website! and, all of you with your e-readers of course, you have books right at your fingertips! get busy reading; you have no excuse!

here are some books i have read in the past few years. i enjoyed them all, and while i'm sure there may be other books out there better suited to you and your needs, these were great for me. they are a great start if you're just not sure what you even want! click on the pictures to see the listings on amazon and read more about each book.




this is an easy read. lots of useful info.
{AND, I will be giving away my copy of this book to one random person who leaves a comment on this blog post before Saturday, March 24 @ 12:01 am.}




ever heard of dr. laura? she has a national talk radio show. and she gives it to ya straight! 






okay, i have to admit. i've never read this. but i want to. my MIL {mother in law} says this was the "it" book when she got married in the early 70s. and supposedly it's still a great asset to being a great wife. (ever hear of the saran wrap surprise? i guess it originated here!) i plan to check this one out at our library the next time i'm in there.




love this book. helps you see some things maybe you've forgotten because you're so busy living.  my favorite concept from this book at this moment is to "listen with your eyes" to your kids.  when my kids are telling me stories or just talking to me, i am often cleaning, cooking, on the computer....and while I'm listening, I'm not really SHOWING them that I'm listening.  because of this book, i am currently working on stopping what i'm doing and making eye contact with them while they talk to me.  it breaks my heart to think they are the most important people in my life and i don't give them the attention they need to know that i truly care about what they tell me.  how often do you "listen with your eyes" when your kids are talking to you? 



 
so now you have some starting points to becoming more ABLE. do some praying. do some research. God will give you the tools to help you. even if you don't think you need any help, if you will open your heart to hear from Him, you might find an easier way or faster way of doing what you already do!   what is your area that you'd like a little more guidance in?  i think for me, i'd like to be a little more "able" to play.  i'm so busy DOING things that i feel like i don't take enough time to truly play with my kids and let other things just wait.   i'm going to work on that.  even if i have to make a to-do list that says "stop working and play with kids for 30 minutes,"  at least it would be a set thing that i would feel "has" to get done. it would help me start with a NEW way of doing things, a better way of doing things. 

so tell me....do you have a favorite book or resource that helps you become a better or more able mom/wife/woman?  I'd love to know what it is!  

Please leave a comment on this post!  One random "commenter" will receive my copy of becoming the woman of his dreams!   I will announce the winner next Sunday on the blog post about being CONTENT.   I can't wait to hear from you! 




1 comment:

  1. these books look great, even if I don't win, I will need to look into these, thanks molly.
    lindsey cook

    ReplyDelete